Monday 22 December 2014

Till point shelf

I work in a retail shop and found that the till area can get a bit cluttered with extra little bits and promo stuff. I needed somewhere to store these items but keep them accessible to customers. So I made a shelf out of pallet wood.

I started by gluing a few strips together and then drew squares on the glued boards.

After cutting each square out I cut a section out with my jig saw. This will be the front. 

next i made the sides. i decided not to glue these as one big sheet for each side. instead i used small strips of wood to act as bracers, these will also act as shelf supports.

after lining up the sides and the bracers i could then insert the shelfs. the shelfs were then screwed to the sides. tip, always pilot hole where you are going to screw into, this will stop the wood from splitting.

it all lines up pretty nice and i decided not to sand down any of the dirty patches, i think it adds to the look.

and finally i added the front sides, these are just single strips of pallet wood which are again screwed to the shelf.



and here it is in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment